Pages


Monday, August 23, 2010

8/20/10 15 mile Time Trial

Trying out my "aero" helmet, which has been in a closet for 13 years
Another Friday night, another time trial in the can. This event was 15 miles, the same distance as the very first time trial I competed in earlier this year. But the result was very different. In the last 15 mile event I finished in 19th place. This time, I finished in 4th place, shaving off a big chunk of time. But in that first one I was a different rider too. I was much more nervous, which I am sure contributed to a quickly tiring upper body and starting out waaay too fast and burning myself up. This time around I was more confident and relaxed, and felt a lot better. The only thing I wish I could have done differently in this race was to get to my chiropractor the day before. I am happy with my result but my back was hurtin' like the dickens... again. When I get an adjustment before an event, I am typically pain free, but when I don't, my back quickly flares up and the pain works its way down the back of my right leg, and I have to just ride with it to the finish line. I think if I had been able to get to the doc, I could have had a better time, but I'm not complaining.

Now I only have two races left for my season. The first one is the West Virginia State Time Trial Championships, which I'm not eligible to win the title, but I can still "win" the event on September 18, and the Pennsylvania State Team Time Trial Championships in Erie on September 25. I am very excited about the latter as I will be competing WITH my teammates as we pedal our hearts out for the state gold.
Team Cervelo as they crush a team time trial
We don't want anything less because, according to my teammate Brian Hopkins, "Silver is just stupid." So we're either going for the gold or "die trying". Between now and then all my training is geared towards these two events. Looking forward to it!

1 comment: