Pages


Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Deflated at the Hilly Billy

In my last post I told of my training for an upcoming race, the 70 mile Hilly Billy Roubaix, and how I hurt my back bad in that particular training ride.  Well two weeks went by between that injury and the race, and with a lot of chiropractic therapy, ice, and stretching, I went into that race as close to 100% as I could get.  I was feeling very good.  My back wasn't hurting or bothering me at all and I felt pretty comfortable with my fitness.  I was also on a high from just being at the race.  I was really excited just to be there as I knew it was going to be a lot of fun.

So... short long story short, by the time the whistle blew for the start to around 16 miles into the 70 mile event, I had five flat rear tires!  I had two spare inner tubes and a patch kit, but that wasn't enough on these harsh, horrible roads, at least for me.  I can't even recall at what mile markers I had the first four flats, but on the fourth flat the "sag wagon" rolled up behind me (the sag wagon is a vehicle that tails the race and picks up people who can't finish).  I asked the driver, "I'm the last person on the course now, huh?"  He replied, "Yup."  My heart sank some and the last of my imputus was about gone.  I got that flat fixed and he followed me and as I was going up another dirt climb my rear tire was going mushy again.  Flat #5.  At that point the driver of the sag wagon, Jeff Gernert, and I fiddled around with the tire a bit and then decided it was a lost cause.  He then proceeded to put my bike in the back and handed me a beer and we drove off.

I was eventually handed off to Rick Plowman and his dad for a ride back to the start/finish line (Rick was also out of the race due to a nasty crash which required stitches in his knee).  I cleaned up, put on my happy face (a competitor never wants a DNF by his/her name!), and eventually made my way to the 100 pizzas and two kegs of beer waiting for all the participants.

I was sad that I didn't get to experience the full glory of the Hilly Billy but what I did get to taste made me hungry for the full plate next year (and the post race festivities were quite a treat too!).  I still had a blast despite my flat tires.  As this WAS my first attempt at a race on dirt let alone the craziness of the Hilly Billy, I had some lessons to learn, which I did.  I am truly looking forward to it next year!

(For a full gallery of photos, visit Fred Jordan Photography.)

1 comment:

  1. Nice work Dan !
    I'm hoping to be out there with you next year (hopefully my memory of the 2010 race will have faded by then.

    Kirk

    ReplyDelete